Setting Goals


With the whole FIFA World Cup thing going on, I figured this is a wonderful time to talk about goals. Clever right? So what exactly is a goal? Just to be clear, I am not talking about the kind in which a ball has to cross a white line in between 2 posts. I am talking about the object of a person’s ambition or effort; an aim or desired result.

We all know that setting goals is an important part of our wellbeing. If you ask the most successful people you know, you will more often than not, find that they set goals and work towards achieving them. Waaaay back in 1979, a study was conducted on students enrolled in the Harvard MBA program. The question asked was “Have you set clear, written goals for your future and made plans to accomplish them?” 3% of the graduates had done so. 13% had set goals but not in writing and 84% had no specific goals at all. Ten years later, those same students were revisited and asked how they were doing. The 13% who had goals but had not written them down were earning twice as much as the 84% who had no written goals or plans. The 3% were earning on average ten times as much as the other 97%. The results of this study are amazing. It’s absolute solid proof as to why setting goals is important.

When you set goals, you are showing that you have ambition and drive. A hopeful attitude. Then when you achieve your goals, you get that huge sense of accomplishment, which in turn motivates you to set more goals. It also keeps us moving forward in a positive way.

There are so many useful tools out there for discovering what it is we want, identifying clear, specific goals and achieving them. One of the most helpful tools is getting a coach. I’m not just saying that because I am one, but because coaches are excellent at keeping you on track and accountable for your actions – both of which are key when you want to achieve your goals. Another awesome tool is to actually take some time and write your goals down. Even go so far as to map them out. How are you going to achieve these goals? What’s one thing you can do right now to get closer to your goal? These are questions you can ask to begin to map out your journey to success.

If you need more information, more clarity or want to see what setting goals and mapping out plans can do for you, please send me an email. I would be super happy to set up a free session with you and get you started on your success journey. yourlifesolutionscalgary@gmail.com. You can also get a hold of me on my Facebook page facebook.com/yourlifesolutionscalgary and send me a message that way. I look forward to hearing from you!

Thank you so much for reading my blog!

Season

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s